Friday, March 9, 2012

Cut - Patricia McCormick


Date Released: February 1st 2002
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Pages: 160 pages
Date Read: January 21, 2012
Format: Paperback
Source: Barnes&Nobles
Summary:
"A tingle arced across my scalp. The floor tipped up at me and my body spiraled away. Then I was on the ceiling looking down, waiting to see what would happen next." Callie cuts herself. Never too deep, never enough to die. But enough to feel the pain. Enough to feel the scream inside. Now she's at Sea Pines, a "residential treatment facility" filled with girls struggling with problems of their own. Callie doesn't want to have anything to do with them. She doesn't want to have anything to do with anyone. She won''t even speak. But Callie can only stay silent for so long...

My Review:

You know, it's hard to review a book like this one. I bought this book while I was going through some tough situations and they recommended it to me, saying it would help me with my own cutting issues. And, I'm happy to say, it did.

This book was no Love story, it was no inspirational story, not a memoir, not dramatic. It was just real. I was incredibly surprised when I heard that the author has never self-harmed, I really was, it was like reading my own story. Callie is a cutter and she's interned in a rehabilitation center, and also she refuses to speak or try to get better. Until she realizes that she can't stay silent forever, and that maybe, just maybe she can get better.

The book is very short, it's only 160 pages long and it's pocket size. It isn't even Callie's full story, just the beginning of it. If you have troubles with self harm, it's a must read, it makes your realize you're not alone with your feelings. And for the rest, this book is an insider, it'll make you understand why would someone go as far as to harm themselves, not to agree, but to understand.

The most amazing thing about the book is, like I mentioned before, that the author has never self harmed, it really is shocking, she captured everything perfectly. Cut is a simple, small book, with a story and emotions that are complicated, messy and painful. For me, this book became personal and like I said, no love story, no huge drama, no inspiring/cliche ending, and yet, it was life changing for me. I've been clean from the moment I ended this book [January 21st 2012] and it wasn't until today that I had the guts to post this review, I honestly hope that this book will inspire more teens like myself <3

*as a small suggestion, if you're planning on reading this book, I suggest you listen to Breathe Me by Sia, it's a great and fitting song. Also Fix a Hear by Demi Lovato [though that one is more of a break up song]




 You might also like: